Can chocolate truly be healthy?
YES! Let’s explain why:
Everyone has heard of free radicals. It’s well known that these rogue molecules damage healthy cells, which in turn results in unhealthy tissues, organs and eventually, an unhealthy body.
Fortunately, cacao, the nutritional source of healthy chocolate, is nature’s top source of antioxidants. Antioxidants are nutrients that neutralize free radicals and slow their damage.
“…among the most important observations in the history of medicine…How important does that make [cacao antioxidants]? I would say very important.”
—Harvard physician and researcher Norman Hollenberg, MD, regarding the benefits of cacao’s antioxidants.
Among cacao’s most impressive phytonutrients are several types of polyphenols, largely recognized as some of the most powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds known today. The most powerful and prominent polyphenols in cacao are flavanols.
Hundreds of studies have found that flavanols possess distinct and powerful properties, including the ability to:
- Minimize inflammation throughout the body
- Slow free radicals
- Protect the heart and blood vessels
- Support the immune system
- Promote antibacterial/antiviral activity in the body
- Relax and dilate blood vessels
- Modify blood sugar levels
- Protect the brain
- Preserve cellular integrity
- Protect and repair the liver
- Positively modify hormone activity
- and much more!